Pages

August 11, 2011

Disney's Animation Academy at Disney's Hollywood Studios

One of my favorite things to do while visiting Disney's Hollywood Studios is to visit the Animation Academy in the Magic of Disney Animation.  It is an experience that many pass by because they don't realize what it is all about.
At the Animation Academy you can get a glimpse of what it takes to draw a Disney Character, and you get to try your hand at it too!
It is like a private drawing lesson with a real, live Disney Animator/Artist.  You may be thinking, I don't know how to draw! Or, I can't even draw a stick figure let alone and Disney Character! No worries! You are supplied a piece of paper and a pencil. The pencil has no eraser by the way, but don't worry, this is a sketching process and you really won't need one! Really! The fact that the paper fits over pegs on a Mickey Mouse shaped drawing board only adds to the fun.
The  Animator's drawing is projected up on a screen in the middle of the room. You usually start out with a lightly drawn circle, put some guide lines in it and you go on from there. The Animator will draw the Disney Character shape by shape, explaining the process as you go along. Often they will tell you a little background information about the Character that you are drawing or talk about something interesting that they have seen or done.  Before you know it, you have a Disney Character on your own piece of paper!
I wish I could say this is my drawing, but I can't. This was the Disney Animator's drawing. She was kind enough to allow me to photograph it after the class. I will admit to peeking at the other class member's drawings and you know what...everyone had a recognizable Mickey Mouse on their paper! Sure, some were better then others but everyone had a smile on their face because they enjoyed the class, and that is what matters after all. The class took about 20 minutes to complete. Much to my delight the Cast Members do not mind if you go back and get in line again right after your class for the next one. Yes, I did that very thing, but I was careful. I kept an eye out for anyone walking up to join the class after I got in line. I was more then willing to allow someone who had not drawn a character yet to take my place. I was not willing to deny anyone the chance of drawing a character just because I enjoyed the experience so much!

1 comment:

Michele Moore said...

My Tyler loved this experience in 2008 and we came home with quite a few How To Draw books from Disney. The Mickey and Friends book is by far the easiest, and I can draw a fair Donald or Mickey from it. Monsters Inc? OH MY WORD. That is for experienced people. Nothing looks even close... I mean it looks like a monster, but not like a DISNEY Monster. :0)